I’m about to build a combination server to use as a WHS (Windows Home Server) for files and backup/redundancy, a webserver for hosting websites (probably Ubuntu LAMP and mostly running Drupal CMS) and an ordinary desktop computer. To be able to do that I will use virualization by VMware/Virutal Box, probalby VMware Workstation.
Here you can follow my building/components plans as I update it regularly.
Comments and suggestions are most welcome.
- AMD vs Intel Quad core – Probably AMD Athlon II 605e due to low power consumption but still quad core.
- VMware vs VirtualBox – Right now leaning towards VMware Workstation but not obvious.
Comparison (last number = benchmark number):
(Old CPU for comparison Intel Pentium 4 3,06GHz = 391 benchmark = 26.73 Watts/GHz)
Intel atom 330 @ 1,60 GHz = 630 benchmark = 26.73 Watts/GHz
AMD Athlon X4 II 600e = 2799
AMD Athlon X4 II 630 = 3378
AMD Phenon II X4 965 = 4223
Get AMD Athlon X4 II 605e!!
- Can you use graphic card/circuit through wmware?
- what motherboard?
- Check hardware acceleration in wmware
- check that 905e can run 64 bit os
- difference between VMware server and VMware workstation: http://vmfaq.com/entry/5/
- SATA 3.0
- VMware vs Virtualbox (Google)
- HDMI and DVI cables where connectors are mounted seperately
- Memory speed for AMD Athlon II X4
- SSD disk speed and power consumption? for speed of system disc?
- Speed and power consumption of WD velocityraptor for system disc?
- Difference 10600 / 10666 memory
- What HDD. WD green quite bad reviews on newegg.com. Check samsung green or ordinary!
- Long HDMI and DVI cables where connectors are mounted seperately
- Check how long it is between under the stairs and livingroom for HMDI-cable
- Check power consumption for the discs I have now
- Build it on Win7 and VMWare on that to use also as HTPC
- Svn-server also as VM.
- Check if memory is overclockable. Check Tom’s motherboard test for ther test environment. What memory did they use?
- Check best power supply. Cougar S? Cougar S 550W Modular 80+ Silver
- hdd passthru in vmware server – http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1452489
- Add for instance 2 HDD to the server (win 7)
- Open disk management and make these HDDs go offline
- Add the 2 new drives exclusively to the VM running WHS
- Access vmware .vmdk-file from other computer: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2016
- Check Samsung HDD
- Alignment/jumper problem with WD EARS
- Check info about WD and RAID
- Check if sound chip matters if optical/hdmi output.
- Might be able to convert stereo to 5.1 in chip for example using Dolby digital live.
Energy efficient: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/01/19/msi-785gm-e65/9
- CPU – AMD Athlon II X4 605E 2,3GHz Socket AM3
- Case – Antec Three Hundred
- Memory – Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz CL7 4x2GB
- Power supply – Cougar S550 550W
- Motherboard – MSI 785GM-E65
- HDD – 2 * Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD154UI 32MB 1.5TB
- CPU – AMD Athlon II 605e
- Motherboard – GIGABYTE GA-MA785GT-UD3H = pros: nice audio chip, overclockable, ATX, 6 SATA
Gigabyte MA785GPMT-UD2H pros = nice audio chip, 128 Mb Sideport mermory, overclockable. cons: sata could be covered by PCIe port, power consumption at load at least. Not for sale in EU.
- Case – http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061
or Antec Two Hundred ATX Mid-tower $49.95
- Power supply:Cougar 700CM/R 700W efficiency = bronze @ www.80plus.org
Corsair CMPSU-450HX 450W efficiency = bronze @ www.80plus.org
- RAM – At lest 4Gb but up to 8Gb
- Storage – 1*500Gb for WHS system. 1*1000Gb for all other VMs, 2*1 or 1,5Gb for data. Green disks.
(in near future SSD disc for system and VMs but too expensive now).
- OS – Windows Home Server